Let's face it. Ulleungdo is not really a household name, even for those who have already been studying where to travel to in Korea. After all, most people traveling to the country will not leave the peninsula, and if they do so for any reason, it is normally going to be to get to lovely Jeju Island.
Out in the Sea of Japan and only reachable by ferry from Donghae (2.5 hours) or Pohang (3.5 hours), it does take a bit of effort to get to Ulleungdo. But then there are also a few equally convincing reasons to to do so.
For starters, this volcanic island (which rises steeply out of the sea on all sides) has some of the most stunning scenery anywhere in the country. Its rocky interior is lushly green while the waters around it are turquoise in color. You'd be hard pressed to find views more beautiful anywhere else. Then there is the fact that while it is at least equally beautiful as Jeju, it is not (yet) so overrun with tourists, and things therefore seem to move at a slower pace here. If it's scenery, some good seafood and peace and quiet in a quintessential Korean atmosphere that you are after, don't think twice and head over to Ulleungdo now. [Review by travelindicator]
- Ulleungdo is a region in South Korea. It is situated at an altitude of 141ft and the best airport to fly into is PUS (Gimhae, Busan)
- The currency used in South Korea is the South Korean won (KRW)
Historical average maximum temperature per month (℉):
Historical average rainfall per month (inches):
- Some of the top things to do in Ulleungdo are the Haengnam Seaside Walkway and cable car ride up the Manghyang Peak
- The island lacks sandy beaches, though there are plenty of spots where you can get up close and personal to the sea from the rocks
More Ulleungdo travel resources
Ulleungdo Attractions (Foursquare)
Browse: Most Similar Regions/attractions (Travelindicator algorithm)
Browse: Nearest Destinations (112mi-146mi)
- Saved by users: travelindicator