Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide and Trip Resources


Trey Ratcliff

A bustling cultural melange


Kuala Lumpur, often abbreviated to KL, is Malaysia's capital and largest city (population 1.6 mil, though the agglomeration is home to nearly 7 mil). Located on the west coast of peninsular Malaysia, KL is a hot city trip destination due to its great shopping and food, as well as being an interesting cultural melting pot (Malays and Chinese make up nearly 90% of the population, evenly divided, while Indians largely form the remaining 10%).

Founded in 1857, the city lacks the long colonial history of some other Malaysian cities, like nearby Melaka. This however is not a city you typically go to for historical sites. Instead you come here to marvel at some of the tallest skyscrapers in the world, do some shopping (head to Berjaya Time Square mall, one of the largest shopping malls in the world, or otherwise Sentral Market or the city's Chinatown), eat your belly full with the best fare the three major ethnic groups here can serve, and end the day in a rooftop bar. View Rooftop Bar and Skybar are the top spots for that.

All of this is not to say that KL is a superficial place. It may not be about history, but culture-wise you're in for a treat if you just start to wander around. One moment you are walking around in Little India (Brickfields) where you could be mistaken for actually being *in* India. The next you smell incense as you walk past a hindu temple, buddhist temple or a mosque, or you find yourself surrounded by the hustle and bustle of Chinatown... [Review by travelindicator]


Hotels

You can find the best hotel deals in Kuala Lumpur here.


Key info

  • Kuala Lumpur is a city in Malaysia's region of Wilayah Persekutuan. It has a population of 1,627,172, is situated at an altitude of 171ft and the best airport to fly into is KUL (Kuala Lumpur International Airport (klia), Kuala Lumpur)
  • The main spoken language here is English, and the average English skill is high
  • The currency used in Malaysia is the Malaysian ringgit (MYR)

Kuala Lumpur Weather

Historical average maximum temperature per month (℉):

JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
90 91 91 91 91 93 91 93 90 90 90 90

Historical average rainfall per month (inches):

JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
6.7 6.5 9.5 10.2 8 4.9 5 6.1 7.6 10 11.3 9.7

More Kuala Lumpur travel resources

There are a bunch of good websites covering travel to Kuala Lumpur. You might want to start with the official portal that divides must-see attractions in thrill, taste, see and stroll. Not too sure what to make of that. Even better is this one where you can view useful lists like top 10 nightlife spots, shopping malls, restaurants, and so on. Other than that may we point you in the direction of NY times, T+L and Tripadvisor.


Kuala Lumpur Attractions (Foursquare)


Browse: Most Similar Cities (Travelindicator algorithm)


Browse: Nearest Destinations (76mi-135mi)


User activity


Other travel destinations in Malaysia (by popularity)

Rawa Island, Langkawi, Bohey Dulang, Tioman Island, Malacca City, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Ipoh, Cameron Highlands, Kota Kinabalu, Kuching, Mersing, Pulau Gaya, Pulau Redang, Johor Bahru, Pangkor, Taiping [Browse all]