Florence is the capital city of Italy's Tuscany region, and has a population of over 350,000. Just mentioning this city's name conjures up images of romanticism, the Renaissance and grand historic architecture, and rightly so. This city, once a city state, was one of the most important centers of culture and trade in medieval Europe and was the birthplace of great artists and philosophers like Leonardo da Vinci, Machiavelli and Michelangelo. With this cultural wealth it is not surprising that Florence is one of the top tourist destinations in present-day Italy.
There is a lot to be seen in the city, ranging from some of the country's best museums, to historic buildings, squares and structures as well as churches and cathedrals. If you had to narrow it down to five must-sees of course, we would propose the following:
- Piazza della Signoria and Palazzo Vecchio: the top sight here and the city's most famous square. This is like an open air museum and you will find numerous sculptures and satues. The medieval town hall of Florence, the Palazzo Vecchio, is situated on the square.
- Galleria degli Uffizi: This is one of the world's most famous fine arts museums and houses large collections of famous Renaissance paintings as well as statues from the classical antiquity
- Ponte Vecchio: More than any other attraction, this bridge over the Arno is perhaps the icon of Florence. Filled with with shops.
- Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore: The city's beautiful cathedral with its enormous dome.
- Campanile: This bell tower stands on Piazza del Duomo and can be climbed for great views over the city. Definitely worth it although it takes some effort.
You can find the best hotel deals in Florence here.
- Florence is a city in Italy's region of Tuscany. It has a population of 367,796, is situated at an altitude of 151ft and the best airport to fly into is FLR (Peretola, Florence)
- The currency used in Italy is the Euro (EUR)
Other cities in the region (Tuscany, Italy)
Historical average maximum temperature per month (℉):
Historical average rainfall per month (inches):
Florence Attractions (Foursquare)
Browse: Most Similar Cities (Travelindicator algorithm)
Browse: Nearest Destinations (31mi-45mi)
Other travel destinations in Italy (by popularity)
Rome, Sorrento, Palermo, Pisa, Positano, Venice, Manarola, Verona, Atrani, Camogli, Carezza al Lago, Capri, Naples, Milan, Florence, Como, Elba, Bologna, Portofino, Bergamo, Vernazza, Ragusa, Dolomites, Lucca, Cagliari, Viareggio, Bari, Bolzano, Palmanova, Lampedusa, Siena, Genoa, Pompeii, Brescia, Cavalese, Volterra, Tremosine, Casale Marittimo, Brindisi, Padua, Lecce, Turin, Pescara, Scilla [Browse all]